It all began in Spring 1948 when Archdeacon Thomas took a coin and scraped clear the years of grime from a century old Covenanter Church window. He knew the Episcopal Mission had found a new home in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. The Covenanters stipulated the cemetery be maintained and could not sell for commercial purposes. By August 1st with a congregation of 17 people, the 1st service was held.
October 16th 1948 with 180 persons present, the church was consecrated and the name changed from Pine Creek Episcopal Mission to St. Thomas Church in the Fields. In 1950 with a small budget and a loan from the Diocese a small rectory was purchased, and as the parish grew plans were made to enlarge the building. Not long after a new rectory closer to the church was purchased and the old one sold.
In 1956 plans were drawn up and presented to the parish, ground was broken in 1958 and on June 7, 1959 the first service in the new church was held. On the 15th anniversary an art exhibit and concert was held to celebrate all the hard work and fellowship of St Hilda’s Guild (parish woman’s organization).
In 1965 a new rectory was built on the property, and 1968 brought The Chapel of the Resurrection enabling Christian burials within the church. During the next 10 years the parish struggled but in 1976, under new effective leadership, a strong lay ministry was organized and the parish became healthy again.
In 1977 the parish sold the old rectory and a new rector was called. Under his leadership the parish flourished even more. In 1989 the parish celebrated its 30th Anniversary. Each following year brought grow, enrichment and fulfillment leading to the Church’s 50th Anniversary celebration in 1999.
In 2000, renovations were made to the parish hall and Church School hall. In 2008 the parish voted to remain with the Anglican Communion and remain part of the Anglican Diocese of Pittsburgh. In January 2011 our current Rector The Rev. Ronald J. Baillie was called, and in 2017 we changed our name to St. Thomas Anglican Church.